Sunday, November 3, 2019

Leading with Youth

My biggest take away from these readings was the chart below.
x


 
 I really like how this spectrum describes youth roles of leadership. I never considered Youth as clients and noticed that a lot of the work I do in my organization is with Youth as Clients. This session of my after-school clubs I have tried to move more into the youth participation/involvement without knowing it. This chart really put into perspective the different categories of youth participation. I want to have a program that is more youth driven. I wish this is a chart I would have learned about before. As someone who is a visual learner seeing this spectrum drawn out helps me see the path of becoming a youth led program. Youth Work/Development is about working with youth as their allies. Most programs have youth as clients and I never noticed the distinction. As people youth or otherwise, we become more invested in something if we have stake in it. The more youth are involved, the more they become invested in what is going on. Giving youth a chance to have input makes a big difference. Last weeks readings about Ethnic Studies was proof of how important and impactful it is when youth are driven. Providence students advocated for themselves with adult allies and were able to get a curriculum that offers them what they want to learn about. Youth with adult allies can do amazing things.


2 comments:

  1. Yes--I agree that chart is a total revelation for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jasmine,
    I enjoyed seeing that chart too in the readings because it gave me an idea of the spectrum that concerns youth work & youth programs. My work has always been youth as clients, regardless of how much power I attempt to give my kiddos, they are always considered the client, on a societal level & organizational level. All of my youth work surrounds children with special needs so we adhere to clinical rules & regulations & refer to our youth as clients. I've never worked anything other than this type of youth work but I believe it's because of the psychological/clinical/behavioral nature of my job. I'm sure there are places where other areas of the spectrum thrive & should be used, but I honestly don't know how positions like mine could be anything other than youth as clients. I think the beauty of the spectrum is that we can see that it's okay to have all types of youth programs given the nature & context provided.

    ReplyDelete